I’m a firm believer that every little counts. Meaning that if we all do our part, we can save the planet.
Here are 5 simple things that we do on all our travels so that in our own small way, we are not generating unnecessary waste.
- Carry our own water bottle – even if it’s a plastic one atleast we are not buying and disposing new ones. At airports, we carry in an empty bottle and fill-in from drinking water kiosks. At destinations where tap water is drinkable, we fill-in whenever we are stepping out. Imagine how much plastic will be reduced if everyone did this?
- Carry our own handbags and avoid plastic bags – most often we will be carrying a handbag or a back-pack when roaming around on any trip. While, shopping, we often just take the bill and stuff the purchase into our bags esp. if it’s small sized items. Makes us feel a lot better esp. while street shopping as low quality plastic bags are handed out in tonnes to shoppers/tourists every day!
- Turn off aircon and other electronics when not in use or when not necessary – so we tolerate a few mins of heat and sweat. But it’s a small price to pay given how much electricity and wastage can be avoided.
- Do not wash towels/linens everyday – well think about this, when you are home, do you wash your towels or change your bedsheets everyday? Why should it be any different in a hotel/motel/guest house/airbnb? Helps save gallons of water and reduces the amount detergents that get washed away into rivers and oceans.
- Never buy products/souvenirs made by killing animals – we NEVER buy such stuff. It could be the best crocodile leather wallet or a purse made using kangaroo skin, the thought of how it was made sickens us.
“We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop” – Mother Teresa
Happy Green Travelling folks! Let’s do our bit 🙂